This page sets out the details of Home Tuition Scotland’s privacy statement in relation to information collected about you.
Who we are
Home Tuition Scotland Ltd. 42 Gilberstoun Loan, Edinburgh, EH15 2RQ
We are a limited company, registered in Scotland, and our registration number is SC572154.
We are registered as a data controller under the Data Protection Act 1998, and our Data Protection Register number is: ZA824268.
Any electronic communications will be made in accordance with the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR)
What information do we collect about you?
We collect the personal data that you may volunteer as part of online enquiries, online bookings, tutor application forms, online sign-ups and client-surveys.
Personal information we collect may include:
- your name, title, gender and date of birth;
- your postal address, email address and phone number;
- your financial details, such as bank account details.
- name, title, gender and age of your dependant children;
- name, title, course of study, age of students at your educational institution;
- current interests and activities;
We will also collect and hold information about any contact you have with us as a client or tutor/support worker with Home Tuition Scotland, and may consist of details of:
- record of attendance;
- record of tuition;
- contact preferences;
- financial details, including bank account details;
- details of correspondence sent to you, or received from you;
- employment information and professional activities;
- PVG membership information;
- any other information provided by yourself at the request of Home Tuition Scotland.
When we ask you to provide your personal information we will let you know why we are asking, and how we will use your data, by directing you towards this notice.
What we do with your information
Depending on your relationship with Home Tuition Scotland, and the preferences you have indicated, data we hold may be used by us for the following purposes:
- Send you potential employment or marketing information by post, telephone or electronic means. These types of communications can include:
- Informing you of services provided by Home Tuition Scotland Ltd., such as FE/HE student services.
- News and updates about Home Tuition Scotland Ltd., and marketing e-newsletters.
- Information about your tuition with Home Tuition Scotland Ltd..
- Other relevant communications based upon your relationship with Home Tuition Scotland Ltd.
- To send you surveys, and for market research purposes.
- Tools may be used to monitor the effectiveness of our communications with you, including email tracking, which records when an e-newsletter from us is opened and/or how many links are clicked within the message. The data from this tracking is generally used in an aggregated and anonymised form.
You can opt out of any/all of our communications at any point simply by contacting info AT hometuitionscotland.com
There are some business communications that we are required to send regardless of your contact preferences. These are essential communications, deemed necessary to fulfil our contractual obligations to you. This would include issuing invoices, remittance advice, contract proposals and querying returned mail or bounced payments with you.
How we update your information
We continuously review records of clients and tutors to ensure your data is as accurate as possible. We may consult alternative sources in order undertake these checks, such as:
- GTCS website
- Scottish Government website
- SCIS Directory of Independent Schools
- Reviewing employment information that you have made publicly available via social media;
- Newspaper articles, publications and company websites;
- Companies House and other company information databases;
- Seeking references from previous employers;
- Any other publicly available sources.
Who we might share your information with
We may disclose personal data to approved third parties or external organisations, and data processors.
Examples of third parties would be sub-contracting qualified tutors, GTCS-registered schoolteachers, educational agencies, educational institutions such as schools, FE Colleges and Universities, or data processors carrying out work on our behalf.
Any such parties and organisations are acting as approved data processors for Home Tuition Scotland Ltd. and will act only on our instructions.
We may occasionally need to transfer your personal information overseas, for instance to our bulk email distributor, MailChimp. Where this is necessary, this may be to countries or territories around the world.
We are required to ensure any transfers of data will be done securely, in accordance with best practice, and in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Your data will never be sold or passed to any third party for any other purpose.
How we store your personal information
Your information is securely stored in our online files, no hard copies of your data are held. For tutors/support workers: we keep your name, contact details, recruitment documents and all email communications for two academic years after you have ceased working for HTS. We will then hold limited information for a further four years (name, dates of employment, contact details and any pertinent information), for internal recruitment procedures and reference purposes. Further to this, we have a requirement to keep finance records in line with HMRC requirements. These records are in the form of timesheets and invoices which contain your name and financial information. After the required time frame has ended, all relevant files will be permanently deleted.
How we keep your information secure
We have implemented security procedures, rules and technical measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control from:
- unauthorised access;
- improper use or disclosure;
- unauthorised modification.
All our employees and data processors, who have access to, and are associated with the processing of personal data, are legally obliged to respect the confidentiality of our clients’ and tutors’ personal data.
How can I access the information about me, and correction of information?
You can ask us if we are keeping any personal data about you and you can also request to receive a copy of that personal data – this is called a Subject Access Request.
To make a Subject Access Request you will need to provide adequate proof of identity such as a copy of your passport, birth certificate or driving licence before your request can be processed. There may also be a fee of up to £10 depending on the volume of work required.
Please try to be as clear as possible about the information you are seeking.
Once we have received your Subject Access Request, the agreed fee and proof of identity, you will receive a response from us within 40 days and you will be able to get copies of any information we hold on you. However, exemptions to disclosure may apply in some circumstances.
Subject Access Requests should be sent to:
Data Protection Officer
c/o Home Tuition Scotland Ltd. 42 Gilberstoun Loan, Edinburgh, EH15 2RQ
At any time you may request that we delete or correct your personal information. If you wish to correct any information on you held by Home Tuition Scotland Ltd., simply contact email@example.com
Pages on the Home Tuition Scotland Ltd. website include links to other relevant content – this privacy statement only applies to HTS Ltd. websites.
Changes to our privacy notice
We regularly review our privacy statement, and may make changes time to time. Any changes made will be posted to this page, and will apply from the time we post them. This privacy statement was last changed on 15 June 2023.
How to contact us
If you have any comments on our privacy notice, or information we hold about you please contact us:
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org ;
- or write to us at Home Tuition Scotland Ltd., 42 Gilberstoun Loan, Edinburgh, EH15 2RQ.
Our website disclaimer can be found here.